Kaila Mikkelsen, BSc., JD, LLM
Assistant Dean, Students
Tel: (604) 822-6350
Tania Astorino, BA, JD
Assistant Dean, Students
- Provides academic advising, course selection advice, academic support and wellness support to JD students.
- Provides referrals to counseling services, student health services and other support services at UBC.
- Administers exam and assignment deferrals, extensions and accommodation requests. Approves leaves and withdrawals.
- Manages the Academic Success, Peer Tutor and Ambassador programs.
- Liaises with the Centre for Accessibility with respect to law student accommodations.
- Oversees first year Orientation.
Manager, Student Experience
Tel: (604) 827-3882
- Advises law students on experiential offerings, exchange offerings and joint legal education programs
- Oversees the law school's experiential requirement and supports clinical instructors and moot coaches with the recruitment process
- Provides back up support to Assistant Dean, Students with respect to academic advising and academic concessions
- Liaises with Centre for Accessibility with respect to accommodated exams
- Provides support to ALSS and student groups to enhance the student experience
- Supervises the First Year Moot Registrars
Lee Schmidt, LL.B.
Associate Director, Indigenous Legal Studies
Tel: (604) 822-2177
- Provides academic advising, academic support, cultural, wellness and career support to Indigenous students.
- Provides referrals to counseling services, student health services and other support services at UBC to Indigenous students.
- Manages and coordinates Indigenous Legal Studies (ILS) programming for students.
- Co Manages the ILS Academic Leadership Certificate
- Co manages the Indigenous Cultural Competency Certificate
- Coordinates the Specialization in Aboriginal Law
- Coaches and coordinates the Kawaskimhon Moot on Indigenous legal issues
- Recruits and advises Indigenous JD applicants
- Oversees first year ILS Orientation
- Liaises with Indigenous Law Student Association and other student groups on programming and events including Indigenous Awareness Week and co-hosted events
- Liaises with faculty and staff on Indigenous initiatives within the Allard community
Director, Student Academic Services
Tel: (604) 822-6731
- Manages course scheduling, registration, exams, ExamSoft computerized exam process, grades, sessional evaluations, graduation, and transfer credit and teaching evaluations.
Coordinator, Student Academic Services
Tel: (604) 827-5728
- Manages directed research and special registration, and confirmation of registration and graduation letters. Coordinates exams and grades, and the Criminal Law clinic.
Anna Kline, B.A (Psych), M.Psych (Couns), RCC.
Counsellor and Manager, Student Wellbeing
Tel: (604) 822-4928
- Provides law student wellbeing triage based on the stepped care model.
- Provides individualized Wellbeing Plans utilizing UBC and community resources.
- Provides short term solution focused counselling.
- Provides long term or ongoing counselling referrals and bridging support.
- Facilitates law student wellbeing programming at Allard Law.
Program Assistant Student Services
Tel: (604) 827-3602
- Answers in person inquiries from JD students
- Provides administrative support to staff in Academic Services and the Indigenous Legal Studies
- Arranges appointments and meetings for Tania Astorino, Lee Schmidt and Anna Kline.