Program specific requirements
- Applicants are required to hold a Juris Doctor (JD) or Bachelors of Laws (LLB) degree.
- For applicants with Canadian or USA credentials, you must have the academic equivalent of a four-year bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall average in the B+ range in third- and fourth-year courses (at UBC, these are courses numbered 300-499). Visit the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website for a full list of general requirements for Canada & US credentials.
- For applicants with International credentials, your requirements vary by country. Visit the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website for a full list of general requirements for international credentials.
English Language Requirements
If your post-secondary degree (equivalent to a bachelor's or higher) is from a university where English is not the primary language of instruction, you must take and provide the results of an English language proficiency exam with your application.
- We understand that not everyone has the same path to education. If you do not meet the requirements above, but have other significant formal training, relevant professional experience and/or possess demonstrable knowledge/expertise, you may be granted admission on a case-by-case basis.
- These requirements are minimums and are only one part of your application. Visit our How to Apply page to review the application process and required documents.