Regular Lawyer Referral Service
You can receive a free half-hour consultation with an expert lawyer by following these steps:
- Call our Lawyer Referral Service telephone line at 604-687-3221 (in Metro Vancouver) or 1-800-663-1919 from 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.
- Briefly explain your legal problem. Our staff will then provide you with the name and contact information of a suitable lawyer to help you.
- If schedules allow, your lawyer will provide you a free half-hour consultation to determine your legal needs and how you can serve them.
- If you’d like further help from your lawyer, you can retain them at an agreeable rate of charge. There's no obligation for either party to continue after the free consultation.
Please don't confuse our Lawyer Referral Service with legal aid. In BC, legal aid is provided exclusively by Legal Aid BC to British Columbians on very low income who qualify for their services.
If you are a person with a low income experiencing a family law issue, you may be eligible for free legal advice over the telephone from a family lawyer.
To be considered for the Family LawLINE service, call our province-wide Call Centre at 604-408-2172 (in Greater Vancouver) or 1-866-577-2525 (elsewhere in BC) during the following times:
- Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri — 9 am to 3 pm, and Wed — 9 am to 2:30 pm
Family LawLINE lawyers give brief "next step" advice about family law issues such as:
- parenting time or contact,
- guardianship / parenting time,
- child support,
- spousal support,
- property division (limited advice),
- family agreements,
- child protection, and
- court procedures.
You may be able to get this help whether or not you qualify for a legal aid lawyer.
Wellness Hotline (24hr)
First Nations and Indigenous Crisis Line
Offered through the KUU-US Crisis Line Society
Phone: toll-free at 1-800-588-8717
Freedom of Information Request (BC)
PO Box 9569
Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9K1
Legal Referral Services
Class Actions to Apply for: