Ismail is a master student in the research program at the Peter A. Allard School of Law. His research centres around economic integration and intra-African trade, with focus on analysis of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), implementation prospects and challenges of implementation, with Nigeria and South Africa – two largest econonomies in Africa - as case studies.
Ismail obtained his LL.B from the University of Ilorin and LL.M from the University of Lagos.
Apart from his research work, Ismail is also passionate about leadership and served as Vice President of the Graduate Student Society (GSS), Vancouver (April 2022 – April 2023), where he contributed immensely to academic initiatives and wellbeing of graduate students. Importantly, he created the Housing Security Aid (HSA) in 2022, through which the GSS disbursed over $31,000 to support more than 35 graduate students with housing-related financial needs.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom
- Associate, International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (Insol).
- Business Recovery & Insolvency Practitioners Associations of Nigeria (BRIPAN)
- Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
Supervisor: Ljiljana Biuković
- Administrative law and regulatory governance
- Business, corporate and commercial law
- Civil law
- Comparative law
- Contract law
- Courts, litigation and access to justice
- Dispute resolution, arbitration and mediation
- European Union Law
- Human rights
- Immigration and refugee law
- International law
- Labour and employment law
- Public and constitutional law
- Transnational law