Associate Dean, Academic Affairs
B.A. (Toronto), LL.B. (Dalhousie), LL.M. (Yale), Clerkship, Supreme Court of Canada, 1986-87 (Mr. Justice Estey)
Allard Hall, room 262
- Phone: 604 822 3140
- Fax: 604 822 8108
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Isabel Grant's main research interests lie in the areas of criminal law. She is particularly interested in the law and policy issues surrounding violence against women, sexual assault, homicide, and HIV non- disclosure. She is currently working on two SSHRC-funded projects: one on sexual assault across the lifespan and one examining sentencing for the crime of murder. She teaches in the areas of criminal law, homicide, sentencing and mental health law. She has also worked with advocacy groups representing women and people with disabilities on more than 20 interventions in the Supreme Court of Canada and other appellate courts. Professor Grant is currently the Associate Dean, Academic Affairs at the Allard School of Law.
- Criminal Law
- The Law of Homicide
- Principles of Sentencing
- Mental Health Law
- "Resurrecting 'She Asked for It': The Rough Sex Defence in Canadian Courts" Alberta Law Review [forthcoming in 2023]. (with Elizabeth Sheehy and Lise Gotell)
- "The Meaning of Capacity and Consent in Sexual Assault: R. v. G.F." (2022) 70:1 Criminal Law Quarterly 78. (with Janine Benedet)
- "Non-Consensual Condom Removal in Canadian Law Before and After R. v. Hutchinson" (2021) 44:2 Dalhousie Law Journal 439-475. (with Lise Gotell)
- "The Slow Death of the Reasonable Steps Requirement for the Mistake of Age Defence" [forthcoming in 2021] Man LJ.
- "Breaking the Silence on Father-Daughter Sexual Abuse of Adolescent Girls: A Case Law Study" (2020) 32:2 Canada Journal of Women and the Law. (with Janine Benedet)
- "The Complex Legacy of R. V. Cuerrier: HIV Nondisclosure Prosecutions and Their Impact on Sexual Assault Law" (2020) 58:1 Alberta Law Review 45.
- "The Meaning of Life: A Study of the Use of Parole Ineligibility for Murder Sentencing" (2020) 52:1 Ottawa Law Review. (with Crystal Choi and Debra Parkes)
- "The "Statutory Rape" Myth: A Case Law Study of Sexual Assaults against Adolescent Girls" (2019) 31:2 Canadian Journal of Women and the Law 266. (with Janine Benedet)
- "Confronting Sexual Assault the Sexual Assault of Teenage Girls: The Mistake of Age Defence in Canadian Sexual Assault Law" (2019) 97:1 Canadian Bar Review 1. (with Janine Benedet)
- "The Role of Section 718.2(a)(ii) in Sentencing for Male Intimate Partner Violence against Women" (2018) 96:1 Canadian Bar Review 158.
Publications listed on the Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database.
- Centre for Feminist Legal Studies
- Dean's Office
- Criminal law and criminal justice
- Law, gender and sexuality