Professor Sheppard articled in 1968-69, and was called to the Bar of B.C. in 1969. He joined the Faculty in 1969. His current teaching and research interests include Creditors' Remedies, Equitable Remedies, Evidence and Taxation.
Professor Sheppard has practised as a tax lawyer and a prosecutor. From 1979 to 1984, he was a member of the Law Reform Commissison of B.C. and reporter for the Federal/Provincial Task Force on Uniform Rules of Evidence.
Professor Sheppard is the author of Fiscal Federalism for the Royal Commission on the Economic Union and Development Prospects for Canada (MacDonald Commission), and of Evidence (revised edition, 1996). He has been a member of the UBC Senate and the chair of various appeals committees. He has been President of the UBC Faculty Association. He has given continuing legal education lectures in his areas of interest. He has given expert evidence on the laws of BC and Canada in foreign courts. His hobbies are playing at tennis, and gardening.
- Taxation I
- Real Property LAW 130
- Equitable Remedies
- Expert Evidence in the Context of the Law of Evidence at Large" in Expert Evidence in British Columbia Civil Proceedings 3d ed (Vancouver: The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2011), 5-51
- Co-author, Electronic Records and the Law of Evidence in Canada: The Uniform Electronic Evidence Act Twelve Years Later 70 ARCHIVARIA (Fall 2010) 95-124
- Capital Gains, Chapter 7 in Tim Edgar, Daniel Sandler and Arthur Cockfield, eds, Materials on Canadian Income Tax (14th ed) (Carswell: Toronto, 2010), pp. 531-597Mandatory Retirement: Termination at 65 is Ended, But Exceptions Linger On (2008) 41:1 University of British Columbia Law Review 139-177.
- Mandatory Retirement in Employment Law Conference 2008 (Vancouver: Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2008), 1-25.
- The Supreme Court of Canada Crumbles Mr. Christie’s Cookie, Case Comment (2007) 40:2 University of British Columbia Law Review 705-725.
- Capital Gains, in Materials on Canadian Income Tax, 13th ed., (Toronto: Carswell, 2005), 541-608.
- Expert Evidence in the Context of the Law of Evidence at Large, in Expert Evidence in British Columbia Civil Proceedings, 2nd ed., (Vancouver: Continuing Education Society of British Columbia, 2005), 1- 41.
- Expert Evidence in the Context of the Law of Evidence at Large, in Expert Evidence in British Columbia Civil Proceedings, 1st ed., (Vancouver: Continuing Education Society of British Columbia, 2001), 1-32.
Publications listed on the Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database.
- Property and real estate
- Tax law and policy