6 Tips for Writing a Great Personal Statement
Sep 28, 2022
As part of your JD application to Allard Law, most applicants – those applying under the General Category – will need to submit a personal statement. The personal statement is your opportunity to present us with a clear picture of who are, what’s important to you, and why you’re interested in Allard Law.
There isn’t a set of “right answers” and each person’s unique circumstances will shape their personal statement. Use the tips below to help guide you.
The Personal Statement Questions for General Category Applicants
- Tell us about yourself and why you want to study Law. How has your past education, employment, extracurricular activities and/or other experiences prepared you for the study of law? (Maximum 500 words.)
- Drawing from personal experience, tell us about a time that you changed your mind about something or someone, and what you learned from that experience. (Changes from year to year. Maximum 400 words.)
- Tell us about how equity and diversity have mattered in your life. (Maximum 400 words.)
Tips for Writing a Great JD Application Personal Statement
- Answer the questions. It can be easy to get carried away with your response and forget about what was being asked. Read the questions carefully and don’t forget to circle back to them.
- Tell us something new. Find a way to answer the questions in interesting and compelling ways by pulling from past experiences that are unique to you.
- Use critical reflection. When revisiting your personal experiences, think about what happened and note things that you would do differently or that you were happy about in the end.
- Provide specific examples. We’re eager to read about how you are a great public speaker, or a highly organized and focused individual, or a natural leader, but it’s not enough to simply exclaim that you possess a certain skill or ability; back it up with evidence. Talk about how you have used these skills and how will you continue to use them.
- Relate things back to Allard Law. We’re interested in knowing why think you would be a good fit for Allard Law. Research the school and reflect on why you want you want to study here.
- Be honest. Focus on telling us about who you are rather than what you think we want to hear.
Join one of Canada's Leading Law Schools
Our diverse and innovative curriculum offers a first-rate legal education that balances traditional areas of practice with emerging fields of specialization. This, combined with a comprehensive experiential learning program and a supportive community of faculty, students and staff (including an on-site student well-being counsellor) makes the Allard School of Law a place to be inspired, follow your passions and make a difference in the community and beyond.
- Allard School of Law