On behalf of the Allard School of Law’s Career Services Office (CSO), we are pleased to invite you to our 2021 Small & Boutique Firm Career Fair, which will be held virtually on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 from 12:00pm PT to 2:00pm PT.
The Career Fair presents a great opportunity for Allard School of Law students to meet with lawyers from small and boutique firms and the government. Relationships built at this annual event have led many students to secure summer and articling positions. Often, these firms won’t know that they want to hire a student until they meet the right person – and that could be you!
Due to ongoing social distancing measures, we're moving this year's event to CareersOnline, UBC's online job and volunteer board for students and alumni. Each employer will host a virtual "booth" where, using their preferred video conferencing software, the employer's representatives will share information and meet with students 1:1 or in small groups. During the Career Fair, students will be able to view and use employers’ virtual queues to make the most of their networking time.
Immediate Next Steps?
- RSVP for the Career Fair via this ACE event listing; AND
- Starting Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 8:30am PT, check-in to the Career Fair on CareersOnline (where students will also be able to view and research the full list of participating employers by Feb 15, and set up their video chat profile).
Who should attend?
- 1L students: Attend to start developing relationships with prospective summer/articling employers.
- 2L, 3L and graduate students: This Career Fair is tailored for YOU, as this is the time of year that small and boutique firms will be thinking about hiring 2021 summer and/or 2021-2022 articling students.
- All current Allard Law students are welcome! If you are looking for a summer or articling position with a small or boutique firm, the CSO strongly encourages you to attend.
How should you prepare?
To help ensure you put your best (virtual) foot forward, the CSO recommends you:
- Read the Virtual Small & Boutique Firm Career Fair handouts on ACE.
- Watch the recording of our Fall 2020 Small & Boutique Firm Panel for information on what it is like to practice at this type of employer, and what these employers are looking for. Pro tip – if these panelists’ employers are attending the Career Fair, you have an easy conversation starter!
- Watch the recording of our Fall 2020 How to Career Fair Panel for insider tips from the CSO and experienced lawyers and recruiters.
- Watch the recordings of one or more of our Fall 2020 Large Legal Employer Career Day panels.
- Ensure that you have the videoconference software for the following platforms downloaded on your computer (and accounts set up as necessary), as employers are likely to use them for the Career Fair 1:1 and group chats: Zoom, MS Teams, WebEx, and Bluejeans.
What should you bring to a virtual career fair?
- Just yourself! (in business attire).
- Check in to CareersOnline early (by the start of the event at the latest) to maximize your opportunities to speak with employers of interest during the career fair. Popular employers may have longer queues for 1:1 chats.
- During the Career Fair, feel free to pop into our virtual Student Lounge for a screen check, pep talk, or advice from a CSO Advisor/upper year student.
Which employers are attending?
Students can view employer registrations via the 2021 Small & Boutique Firm Career Fair – Employer Registration ACE Event Listing. As of Mon, Feb 15, 2021, students can also view the full list of participating employers and detailed employer information (including tips for researching and connecting with them at the Career Fair) on CareersOnline.
We look forward to seeing you at the virtual Career Fair!
- Career Services Office
- All Students
- Student Events