Academic Concessions & Accommodations

At Allard Law, we care about your wellbeing and are committed to supporting you in your academic pursuits. We recognize that sometimes unanticipated events or circumstances can affect your ability to complete your academic responsibilities. At Allard Law, requests for academic concessions are directed to the Academic Procedures Committee (through your Allard Law Advisor - as noted on the Academic Concession Request Form below) rather than through your professor. Requests should be made promptly and for already missed deadlines or examinations requests based on medical or compassionate grounds must be made no later than 3 days after the due date or examination date.

If you are already registered with the Centre for Accessibility and your concession is related to your registered medical condition or disability, contact your Accessibility Advisor in addition to completing the law school academic concession paperwork noted below.

If you need immediate emotional, mental, or physical support, find a health and wellness resource to help you.

Read UBC’s policy on academic concessions. Read Allard Law’s Academic Concessions Procedures.

Requests for academic concession should be made using the appropriate form and providing the required supporting documentation:

The Self-Declaration Form can be used to replace the requirement for supporting documentation in certain circumstances. It will usually be sufficient for:

  • the first occurrence of an acute illness
  • a request on compassionate grounds
  • a conflicting responsibility for which there is no practicable way to provide a letter or other official document from an organization relevant to the conflict
  • religious observances

The law school recognizes that circumstances may arise (eg. incidents of sexualized violence) where documentation is unavailable or not appropriate, and encourages students with questions about documentation requirements to reach out to the Assistant Dean, Students, for advice in advance of making an academic concession application.

Back Up Your Work

The Academic Procedures Committee reminds students to regularly back up your computer. In the past, there have been a number of incidents of students losing paper drafts or CANS due to a failure to back up work on their computer. Requests for Academic Concessions due to a failure to back up work will not be considered.

Illness During an Exam

Students are expected to make requests for an exam deferral prior to entering the examination room. Once a student sees an examination paper, the student has committed to writing and completing that exam.  If during the exam, a student experiences a sudden, debilitating illness, which renders them unable to complete an exam, the student must alert the invigilator immediately and ask to be taken to Academic Services Staff for assessment.  All attempts will be made to have the student complete the exam that day. 

Requests from students for retroactive exam deferrals or concessions after an exam is written or submitted (eg. claiming an in-exam illness or incident) will not be reviewed unless the student alerted the invigilator during the exam as per the above process.

December Exams for First-Year Students

First-Year December exams are mandatory.  If a student experiences a circumstance that makes them unable to sit for a December 1L practice exam, the student should request an exam waiver using the Examination Deferral form (located above).  Due to the fail-safe nature of December practice exams and the intensive nature of the first-year program, exam deferrals are not available for December practice exams. The student's April exam in that course will be worth 100% of their final grade.

For first-year courses where the December exam counts towards the final mark in the course, an exam waiver is not available. If a student experiences a circumstance that makes them unable to sit for this exam, the student should request an exam deferral using the Examination Deferral form (located above).

Course Withdrawals

Withdrawal from a course after the last date to drop with a W is available as an academic concession and only in exceptional circumstances (for example, inability to complete the course due to a sudden health condition or tragedy, or you are experiencing unforeseen circumstances which are impacting your studies).  Late withdrawals can only be granted with approval from the Assistant Dean, Students. Students requesting a late withdrawal should do so promptly and are expected to provide supporting documentation. Late withdrawals are not available if you have written the final exam or completed the final assessments in the course.

If you remained registered in the course past the withdrawal deadline, and do not qualify for academic concession, you have committed to completing the course.

Accommodations – Disability or Ongoing Medical Condition

UBC’s Centre for Accessibility assists students with a disability or ongoing medical condition overcome challenges that may affect their academic success. Law students who think they may be eligible for academic accommodations while in law school should contact Centre for Accessibility as soon as possible and ideally prior to the start of their law studies to set up an appointment and register for accommodations.

The types of conditions supported by Centre for Accessibility include, but are not limited to:

  • Mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety disorders or bi-polar disorder
  • Neurological disabilities such as attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, learning disabilities, head injuries and Asperger's syndrome
  • Chronic health conditions including ongoing medical conditions such as arthritis, chronic pain, Crohn’s disease, or migraines
  • Physical disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing loss, or mobility impairments

Academic accommodations in the Allard School of Law are processed through Academic Services rather than through a student’s individual instructors. Once a student receives a letter outlining his or her academic accommodations from Centre for Accessibility, the student should follow up with the Assistant Dean, Students (accommodations) or the Director, Academic Services (exams) about implementation within the Faculty. 

If a student experiences a temporary injury, such as a broken or sprained limb or mild concussion,  the student should reach out to the law school first to explore accommodation or concessions (such as exam deferrals or retroactive course withdrawals) prior to approaching Centre for Accessibility.