The Centre for Asian Legal Studies hosts cutting-edge research on the laws and legal institutions in Asia, both advancing scholarly analyses of some of the world’s most important legal systems and promoting public understanding as Canada’s economic and cultural ties with Asia-Pacific countries deepen. The Centre sponsors exchange on advanced research through conferences, a speaker series, and a visiting scholar program, and offers numerous courses in Asian law. Read more...
CALS 2017-2018 Speaker Series
CALS is pleased to announce an exciting lineup of academic speakers for the year ahead:
- Shinji Higaki, Constitutional Law, Fukuoka University. Recent Debates Relating to Hate Speech in Japan. October 24, Allard Hall Room 123, 12:30pm-2:00pm.
- Debin Ma, Economic History, London School of Economics. War and States: China's Long March Towards Unity (750 BC - 1911 AD). October 31, Allard Hall Room 121, 12:30pm-2:00pm.
- Eva Pils, Human Rights, Law and Society, King’s College London. Rule of Law Reform and the Rise of Rule by Fear in China. November 1, Allard Hall Room 122, 12:30pm-2:00pm.
- Loren Brandt, Economics, University of Toronto. Barriers to Entry and Regional Economic Growth in China. November 17, Allard Hall Room 123, 12:30pm-1:30pm.
- Kentaro Takai, Public Prosecutor. Criminal Justice in Japan: Is a 99.8% Conviction Rate Too High? November 29, Allard Hall Room 105, 12:30pm-2:00pm.
- Michael Blanchflower, S.C. Practising Criminal Law in Hong Kong. January 25, Allard Hall Room 106, 12:30pm-1:30pm.
- Weixing Shen, Professor and Dean, Tsinghua University. Civil Code Draft and Property Law Reform in China. February 5, Allard Hall Room 121, 12:30pm-1:45 pm.
- Annelise Riles, Anthropology and Law, Cornell University. The Changing Politics of Central Banking. February 15, Allard Hall Room 122, 12:00pm-1:45pm.
All of these events will be open to the public and all are welcome to attend. Please check back soon for more information.
Visit of the Honourable Chief Justice Geoffrey Ma
On Wednesday, May 31st, the Peter A. Allard School of law was pleased to welcome the Honourable Geoffrey Ma, Chief Justice of the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal to Allard Hall. Justice Ma visited Vancouver to participate in the Asia Pacific Judicial Colloquium, hosted by the Vancouver Bar Association at the Law Courts Inn. The Colloquium brought together a distinguished group of jurists including Chief Justice Beverly McLachlin of the Supreme Court of Canada as well as the Chief Justices of the High Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of New Zealand, and the Supreme Court of Singapore. Prior to attending the Colloquium, Justice Ma held an engaging talk and Q&A session at Allard Hall with students, faculty, legal professionals, and other members of the Allard community.
2017 World Chinese Legal Philosophy Conference
On October 29 and 30, 2017, jointly with the Institute of Law, Politics and Philosophy of Tsinghua University Law School, the Center for Asian Legal Studies (CALS) hosted the 6th World Chinese Legal Philosophy Conference at Allard Hall. Scholars from 22 universities in 8 countries and regions attended the conference and presented papers on comparative legal philosophy, law and world history, comparative legal culture, legal pluralism in China, the Chinese judiciary, and the future of the Chinese governance system. While the working language of the conference was Chinese, the majority of the participating scholars also published in English. The conference exemplified CALS’ engagement with leading legal research institutions in China and the very large legal research community there.