Law Non-Degree Studies

As an innovator in legal education, the Peter A. Allard School of Law at UBC is committed to ensuring access to legal education to a broad range of students from a variety of backgrounds, including those not currently enrolled in a degree program at the school.

Non-degree studies options at the Allard School of Law include:

Allard School of Law Distance Learning Program

The Allard School of Law will be offering online graduate-level law courses in 2014. These courses will provide a great opportunity for foreign-trained lawyers to work towards the requirements to practice law in Canada, or for anyone interested in taking a graduate-level course in law outside of a degree program.

Allard School of Law Summer Programs

Our four-week, non-credit summer programs are designed for visiting international law students. They provide a unique opportunity for students to learn about Canadian law and culture through intensive course work and various social activities.

Continuing Professional Development Credit

In 2009, the Law Society of British Columbia launched a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program. This new initiative requires all members of the Law Society with a practising certificate to complete at least 12 hours of continuing professional development in accredited educational activities every year.

The Allard School of Law is pleased to be a pre-approved provider of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours and each year offers a variety of lectures and CPD eligible events.

Visiting (Letter of Permission) Applicants

Students enrolled in a law program at an approved law school may apply to attend the Allard School of Law for one term or one year in their second or third year. Applicants must obtain permission from their home university to attend and are required to submit an application through the JD Admissions office.

Unclassified (NCA) Applicants

The JD program will no longer be accepting applications from Unclassified (NCA) students. Applicants who hold law degrees from foreign jurisdictions are advised to contact the Master of Laws (Common Law) (LLM CL) program or the Distance Learning program.