B.A. State Univ. of New York at Buffalo 1982; J.D. State Univ. of New York at Buffalo 1987; LL.M. Harvard Law School 1989; Ph.D. coursework in Policy Studies, State University of New York at Buffalo (1983-87).
Office Location: Allard Hall, room 359
Mary Anne Bobinski is a Professor at the Allard School of Law, where she served as Dean from 2003 to 2015. Before joining UBC, she was the John and Rebecca Moores Professor of Law and Director of the Health Law and Policy Institute at the University of Houston Law Center. Professor Bobinski's research and teaching interests include torts, health law, health care finance, bioethics, legal aspects of HIV infection, and reproductive health law issues. She is a co-author of Health Care Law & Ethics (Wolters Kluwer) and the co-author/co-editor of a two volume book series on medical ethics. Professor Bobinski has also published a number of law review articles and book chapters on health law topics. She is a past President and Board member of the American Society of Law, Medicine and Ethics and a past member of the Canadian Public Health Officer's Ethics Advisory Committee. She has served as a visiting scholar at the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School, the University of Sydney Law School, the Melbourne Law School and the Faculty of Law at Oxford University, where she also held a Plumer Visiting Research Fellowship at St. Anne’s College. Professor Bobinski is currently working on a new edition of Health Care Law & Ethics (Wolters Kluwer) and a research project focused on the contested nature of the physician-patient relationship, with a particular focus on legal responses to conflicting values or norms.
- Health Law
- Comparative Health Law
Representative Published Works
BOOKS (co-edited and co-authored)
- Health Care Law and Ethics (8th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher) (Aspen Publishing 2013).
- Health Care Law and Ethics (7th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher) (Aspen Publishing 2007).
- Health Care Law and Ethics (6th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher) (Aspen Publishing 2003).
- HIV Law & Policy (plus Teachers' Manual) (with William Adams, Michael Closen, Robert Jarvis, and Arthur Leonard) (Carolina Academic Press 2002).
- Medical Ethics: Analysis of the Issues Raised by the Codes, Opinions, and Statements (coeditor and coauthor, with Mark Rothstein, Baruch Brody, and Lawrence McCullough)(BNA Press, Volume 2) (2001).
- Medical Ethics: Codes, Opinions, and Statements (coeditor and coauthor, with Mark Rothstein, Baruch Brody, and Lawrence McCullough) (BNA Press, Volume 1) (2000).
- Health Care Law and Ethics (5th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher)(Aspen Publishing 1998).
- AIDS: Cases and Materials (coauthor, with Closen, Hermann, Isaacman, Jarvis, Leonard, Rivera, Schultz and Wojcik of 2d Ed. Casebook and Teachers' Manual) (John Marshall Press 1995).
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- HIV and Public Health, Public Health Law & Policy in Canada (Tracy M. Bailey, Timothy Caulfield, & Nola Reis, eds., 3rd ed. 2013, 2nd ed. 2008, 1st ed. 2005).
- Legal Issues in Hospital Infection Control, in Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control (C. Glenn Mayhall, ed.)(Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; revised 4th ed. 2010; 3rd ed. 2004; 2nd edition 1999; 1st edition, 1995).
- Healthcare Associated Hepatitis B & C Viruses: Legal Aspects, 14 Clinics in Liver Diseases 105-117 (2010).
- The Health Insurance Debate in Canada: Lessons for the U.S.?, 14 Connecticut Insurance Law J. 341-75 (2007/08) (published 2009).
- Health Disparities and the Law: Wrongs in Search of a Right, 29 Amer. J. L. & Med. 363 (2003).
- Women, Poverty, Access to Health Care, and the Perils of Symbolic Reform, 5 J. Gender Race & Justice 233 (2002)(with Phyllis Griffin Epps).
- Genetic Information, Legal, ERISA Preemption, and HIPAA Protection, in The Encyclopedia of Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues in Biotechnology (Thomas H. Murray, et al., editors, John Wiley & Sons) (2000).
- Patients and Providers in the Courts: Fractures in the Americans with Disabilities Act, 61 Albany L. Rev. 785 (1998)(invited contribution to symposium issue).
- Genetics and Reproductive Decision Making, in The Human Genome Project and the Future of Health Care (Thomas H. Murray, Mark Rothstein, and Robert F. Murray, Jr., eds.)(Indiana University Press 1996).
- Autonomy and Privacy: Protecting Patients from Their Physicians, 51 U. Pitt. L. Rev. 291-388 (1994).
- Women and HIV: A Gender-Based Analysis of a Disease and Its Legal Regulation, 3 Texas J. Women & the Law 7-56 (1994) (invited symposium article).
- HIV Testing and Confidentiality, in Liability of State and Local Governments Based on AIDS Related Issues 7-43 (Brenda Strama, ed.)(Chicago: American Bar Association Press, 1993) (book chapter, with William LeMaistre).
- Risk and Rationality: The Centers for Disease Control and the Regulation of HIV-Infected Health Care Workers, 36 St. Louis U. L. J. 213-307 (1992).
- Unhealthy Federalism: Barriers to Increasing Health Care Access for the Uninsured, 24 University of California (Davis) L. Rev. 255-348 (1990).
- Howard F, Hasan H, Bobinski MA, Nurcombe W, Olson R, Parkinson M, Goddard K. Parents’ Perspectives of Life Challenges Experienced by Long-Term Paediatric Brain Tumour Survivors: Work and Finances, Daily and Social Functioning, and Legal Difficulties. J. CANCER SURVIV. 2014; 8(3):372-83.
- Olson R, Caon J, Tyldesley S, Bergman A, Bobinski M A, Fong M, Vellani R, Goddard K. National survey of health care providers’ views on the risk of inadvertent exposure of pregnant patients to ionizing radiation in Canadian radiotherapy departments. J RADIAT ONCOL 2012; 1(1): 81-5.
- Olson, RA, Bobinski, MA, Ho, A, Goddard, KJ. Oncologists’ View of Informed Consent and Shared Decision Making in Paediatric Radiation Oncology, RADIOTHER ONCOL 2012; 102(2):210-13
- Caon J, Olson R, Tyldesley S, Bergman A, Bobinski M, Fong M, Ma V, Vellani R, Goddard K. Assessing the risk of inadvertent radiation exposure of pregnant patients during radiation therapy planning and treatment in British Columbia. PRACTICAL RADIATION ONCOLOGY 2012; 2(3):179-85.
- Olson, RA, Hung, G, Bobinski, MA, Goddard, K Prospective Evaluation of Legal Difficulties and Quality of Life in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer, PEDIATR BLOOD CANCER 2011; 56(3):439-43.
Publications listed on the Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database.