Funding for US Students

UBC is an approved Title IV institution, which means that UBC students from the US can access Direct Loans

However, because UBC is considered a foreign school, students are not eligible for Pell grants, Perkins loans, or other types of US federal financial aid.

US Student Loans at UBC

UBC is not notified when you submit your FAFSA. Once you've been admitted and submitted your FAFSA you'll need to submit a US Loans Request Form to UBC.  As a student in the JD program, you will submit a US Loan Request Form for Graduate Students.

JD students can qualify for unsubsidized Stafford loans as well as Graduate PLUS loans. 

  • Unsubsidized Stafford loans accrue interest during your time in school, but you don't have to make payments until you leave full-time study.
  • Graduate PLUS loans are an option if you have already maxed out on the unsubsidized loan funding available.  Interest accrues during your course of study and PLUS loans have a slightly higher interest rate than Stafford loans.

Special considerations

Distance education courses: If you take any Distance Education and/or an online course as part of a credential, you will be ineligible for US Direct Loan funding for the duration of your program.

Ontario students: If you are receiving an Ontario student loan and/or grant, you will be ineligible to receive US Direct Loan funding.

Find out more about Direct Loans

Other options

Sallie Mae Smart Option: Find out more about Sallie Mae loans as an alternative for students who are ineligible for Direct Loans or do not wish to receive Direct Loan funding

Other US funding types: Find out if you're eligible for VA, Americorps or state-level funding